The World Economic Forum (WEF) have published a research paper that has identified over 65 use cases for blockchain technology with regard to tackling environmental issues. The benefits, outlined in invest in blockchain, to the six primary environmental threats are as follows:
- Climate Change – Crowd sale energy investment, distributed energy management, secure paperless transactions and more.
- Biodiversity and Conservation – Tracking endangered species, recording of pesticide use, waste management and more.
- Healthy Oceans – Monitoring illegal fishing activity, monitoring ocean temperatures and pH levels, decentralised ledger of ocean data and more.
- Water Security – Supply management, peer to peer micro donations, efficient water treatment systems and more.
- Clean Air – Reliable pollutant data collection, early contamination detection, automation of air-filtration and more.
- Weather and Disaster Resilience – Weather impact analysis, emergency disaster relief, decentralised insurance platforms and more.